Most households in Malta make use of appliances which work with gas whether it’s a gas oven, range top or BBQ to cook food, a gas heater or fireplace to keep the house warm or a water heater.
Here are some important safety tips to protect yourself and your home.
- Gas appliances should have a clear, steady blue flame unless it is a natural gas fireplace designed to produce yellow flames (small amounts of yellow and orange flames occasionally are normal).
- Never use a gas oven or range top as a room heater.
- Keep range and oven burners clean. Never line the oven completely with foil.
- Turn off gas fireplaces and heaters before going to bed or leaving your house.
- Periodically check your gas appliance connectors. These can become hazardous due to deterioration, excessive movement, bending or corrosion.
- Never try to repair or install a gas appliance yourself. Get a professional.
- Keep the space around furnaces and water heaters clean and clear of build-up, rags, newspapers and other debris.
- Make sure there is enough ventilation for gas appliances to burn correctly and that no air vents or chimneys are blocked.
- Never store combustibles such as aerosol cans, paints, household cleaners or similar products near any gas-burning equipment.
- Stay aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Have at least one working LP Gas detector for each level of your home and install it near your gas appliance.
If you smell gas get out of the building immediately, do not use any light switches, do not smoke or strike matches, do not try to find the source of the leak but call the emergency number 112 once outside as a mobile phone might create a spark.
emCare offers electronic and mobile care solutions which provide families and those living independently peace of mind and safety irrespective of age or telephone service provider.
The LP Gas detector available as an add-on to the emCare hub, is a device which automatically alerts our 24/7 call centre before the gas build-up reaches poisoning levels.
Interested in getting any of emCare’s solutions for peace of mind and safety? Visit the store in Tower Street, Swatar, fill in the form on the following link http://bit.ly/2qmunFG or visit www.myemcare.com.