Most accidents happen where we spend most of our time and hence at home. Fact is that most of the accidents at home are fall related and even though the older we get, the bigger the risk of having an accident, anyone can have an accident. Even a small accident can have serious and lasting consequences.
The best accident is one that never happens and with this in mind, here are some safety tips to help keep you and your loved ones safe.
- Ensure rooms, halls and corridors are well lit and install light switches at both the top and bottom of stairways
- Keep all walkways clear of any clutter and electrical cords
- Get rid of throw rugs or use double-sided tape to secure them
- Wear your emCare pendant at all times
- Clean slips once they happen
- Do not store things on the stairs even temporarily
- Move items that are used on a daily basis to bottom cabinets or lower shelves to avoid using step stools and ladders
- Use non-slip rubber mats in the bathtub and shower
- Install grab bars in the shower or bathtub
- Wear your on-wrist fall trigger to be safe and continue living independently
- Make several trips when bringing in grocery bags
- Avoid rushing
- Wear shoes with good rubber soles and that are not loosely fitting
- Exercise to improve strength, balance and coordination
- Have your eyesight checked regularly
Fifty percent of people who fall need assistance to get up. Electronic and mobile care solutions can provide peace of mind for seniors and their families.
emCare’s solutions are available to everyone irrespective of age or telephone service provider and are aimed at providing peace of mind to individuals.
With the emCare Hub you are connected to a call centre 24 hours, 7 days a week and you can receive help with just a press of a button. The hub comes with the wireless panic button which is lightweight and can be worn around the neck or wrist. In addition, you can also buy or rent out the on-wrist fall trigger. This waterproof device is designed to automatically raise an alert to our 24/7 call centre when a fall is detected.
Interested in getting any of emCare’s solutions for peace of mind and safety? Visit the store in Tower Street, Swatar, fill in the form on the following link http://bit.ly/2qmunFG or visit www.myemcare.com.